Gloria Petersen Will Raise Your Comfort Level with Dining Challenges at Any Venue
Do you have what it takes?
- Are you ready to transition from a casual coffee to formal meal with ease?
- If you have been asked to entertain a corporate guest at an upscale restaurant or attend a formal charity banquet, will you feel out of your league?
- You have been invited by a recruiter to an interview lunch; however, your meal experiences have been primarily fast food restaurants. Do you know the protocols of proper dining decorum at a business meal?
- You are new to the United States. Do you know how to navigate a variety of food courts, corporate dining rooms, and buffets with ease?
- You have been promoted and you’re expected to negotiate with major clients in a wide range of restaurants. Are you ready to make menu and wine pairing recommendations?
- Your company is expanding and it involves entertaining international clients. Are you ready to handle cultural meal-related nuisances and toasting protocols?
Whatever your scenario, the last thing you want to do is to appear uncomfortable or ill at ease when participating in an interview, negotiating at a business meal, or attending a formal celebration banquet. The ability to conduct business from a simple coffee to elaborate meal builds relationships! It is where all your social graces come together. Whether you are interviewing for a position, negotiating a contract, or connecting with key players in your network, your ability to stay in control and exude impressive dining decorum are paramount.
Here’s your solution: Dining Strategies for Building and Sustaining Business Relationships. In this one volume, Gloria Petersen provides strategies on how to handle every aspect of dining etiquette and protocol. There is so much more to know than which utensils to use. So, if you’re invited to a business lunch or meeting corporate executives at an interview lunch, it’s important that your dining manners are beyond reproach. Your career may depend on how you handle meal meetings, interpret menus, and personally enhance the dining experience. Knowing the finer points of dining, like toasting and making the right wine selection, and knowing how to recover from mishaps will serve you well in building and sustaining relationships.
Nine Secrets For Casually Sipping and Formally Dining with Business Partners
Gloria provides you with the ultimate resource to help you rediscover and master the nuances of conducting business over a meal. Be ready with expert advice from the book’s contributors and Gloria’s personal experiences. Plus, you will find everything from arranging a meal meeting and strategic seating arrangements to the ritual of toasting and global dining. It’s a preparation tool for ensuring a successful business meal meeting. This book offers valuable and timeless knowledge regardless of trends:
- Understand the guidelines, rules, and expectations around business meals, gain the competitive edge in establishing successful partnerships, and recognize that proper dining etiquette always puts others at ease;
- Familiarize yourself with all the components of table settings, identify how to master different dining styles, and minimize unnecessary disruptions in service;
- Gain an overview of dining courtesies, learn to be confident during those “what to do” moments, and successfully handle those embarrassing mishaps that are bound to happen;
- Become familiar with a restaurant’s “behind the scenes” protocols (take a walk in the server’s shoes) along with tipping guidelines;
- Demonstrate your familiarity with handling reservations and cancellations, selecting dining venues, and communicating your purpose;
- Build relationships from the moment of arrival, know the unwritten rules around business decisions, and master the secrets of power dining;
- Brief yourself on navigating fast-food options and informal buffets, avoid the pitfalls of “grab and go” multi-tasking meals, and maintain personal responsibility at special occasions;
- Be responsible with alcoholic drinks, raise your comfort level with food and wine pairings, and recognize the ceremonial value of toasting at a business meal;
- Increase your sensitivity and awareness of cultural differences in dining before you entertain international clients.
Dining Strategies for Building and Sustaining Business Relationships is volume three of Gloria Petersen’s four-volume series, The Art of Professional Connections. This book is built on experience. Throughout her career, Gloria has always used missteps as educational tools for figuring out what went wrong and how not to make those mistakes again. These experiences help you build personal confidence and solid business relationships. This series includes:
- Success Strategies for Networking In Person and Online
- Dining Strategies for Building and Sustaining Business Relationships
- Event Strategies for Successful Business Entertaining
If you are a trainer or professor, consider adding the module companions to your curriculum in an easy to use format. For details, visit GlobalProtocolAcademy.com
The strategies Gloria presents have been developed with the assistance of an advisory board, business leaders from a diverse range of occupations and industries. Our fact checkers have ensured that the material is current, accurate, and complete. Cash in on the expertise of a professional mentor who will guide you step by step in developing and refining your professional persona.
A “must have” book that redirects careers … the right way
A Personal Note From Gloria
This book is built on experience, including my own personal slip-ups. I have always used missteps as an educational tool for my next seminar or my next publication by figuring out what went wrong, how to rebound, and ultimately how not to make that mistake again. I have also tried to discover what is not being covered in other books on parallel topics so that I can add something fresh and new to the reader’s skill set. I left no stone unturned. And these efforts resulted in a 425-page resource book for you.
How many of you actually eat at the table with your entire family on a regular basis? Picture this scenario: the mother makes sure that the tableware is in its proper place and utensils are used correctly, that elbows are off the table, and that everyone eats with their mouth closed; the father makes sure that the table discussion is inoffensive and everyone has a turn. Is your home meal experience like this, or is it more of a hit-and-miss affair? Perhaps some eat at the table while others take their food to the living room or head out the door as they eat and run. Whatever the case, these habits transfer to the business environment, and they can be counterproductive.
The objectives of this book are …
- To encourage you to reflect on the historical significance and understand the influences
- To help you get beyond meeting over meal dilemmas
- To serve as your resource for building and sustaining relationships
- To help you discover what you thought you knew and round out that you did not know.
Dining strategies are not just about what knife or fork to use. There is much more involved. Whether you are interviewing over a meal, attending company meetings at the finest restaurants abroad, trying to decipher a complicated menu, selecting the most effective seating arrangement, or knowing when and how toast, it is all about handling yourself with ease and confidence and building solid business relationships.